Thursday, January 20, 2005

Jordan returns to Atlanta

The good news: Atlanta fills the vacancies in left and right field by signing OFs Brian Jordan and Raul Mondesi for a combined total of only $1.6 million.

The bad news: Atlanta fills the vacancies in left and right field by signing OFs Brian Jordan and Raul Mondesi for a combined total of only $1.6 million.

Oh boy.

Atlanta fans will be voicing one of two opinions this season:

1. "That John Schuerholz sure is one clever feller."
2. "John-- what the &@$* were you thinking?!"

I'm a "glass is half empty" kind of guy. I expect the worst; that way I'm not surprised when I get it. To be completely honest, I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about two HUGE question marks manning the corners in the outfield. However, I'm simply a fan of baseball and the Atlanta Braves. I'm not John Schuerholz: my knowledge of the game, its players, and the wheeling and dealing necessary to field a club doesn't even begin to compare to his. He seems to think this is an affordable way to man the empty outfield positions for a season until those talented minor-leaguers are ready to play for the big club. It's possible one (or both) of these guys may even take it one step further and be productive members of the team- IF Jordan can stay healthy and IF Raul doesn't go all "24-karat Fruit Loop" again and have another contract voided. They are former All-Stars, after all. I was worried about Sheffield and Drew, and Schuerholz proved me wrong both times.

But those "ifs" sure are large. And plentiful.

No comments: