Friday, January 14, 2005

Mondesi to Atlanta?

Reports indicate the Atlanta Braves and Raul Mondesi are near agreement on a one-year deal.

Raul Mondesi? This is not a name I had envisioned (or hoped for) as I pondered the list of potential candidates to fill the voids in Atlanta's outfield. He put up some pretty good numbers during the 90's (not to mention winning N.L. Rookie of the Year honors in '94), but he's had injury,personal "issues", and an apparent lack of commitment plague him the past couple of years.

If the deal does go through and Raul gets his career back on track, it'd be a great signing for the Braves: an outfielder with a strong arm and some pop in his bat on the cheap. If the deal goes through and he's a bust-- well, I can only hope management has a "Plan B" to fall back on.

I'll put on my Mary Poppins hat and hope for the former.

No comments: