Thursday, December 16, 2004

Braves Trading Extravaganza

So...what'd you do today? Me? I tried to sleep. That didn't work out too well, by the way. (Just in case you were wondering about my sleeping habits.) John Schuerholz had a much more productive day. He struck a deal with the Oakland A's that's bringing SP Tim Hudson to Atlanta, in exchange for OF Charles Thomas, RH Juan Cruz, and pitching prospect Dan Meyer.

I'm pretty excited about Hudson joining the Braves, even if a bit disappointed to see Thomas going elswhere. He quickly became my favorite Brave last year; his hustle and excellent defensive play won me over.

In other trade news, OF Eli Marrero (and some guy named Cash?) were traded to Kansas City for minor league pitcher Jorge Vasquez. I must admit I'm not familiar with Vasquez but he posted a 4-5 record with 18 saves and a 4.68 ERA with Double-A Wichita last year.

J.D. Drew's departure and the trading of Thomas and Marrero leave Andruw Jones the sole man left in the outfield. I can't imagine JS not having specific plans to fill those voids, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the upcoming weeks ahead.

And finally- John Smoltz received a contract extension today that'll keep him in Atlanta through the 2006 season, with an option for 2007.

No comments: