Monday, November 15, 2004

National League MVP

Barry Bonds won his seventh MVP award. And I don't really care.

Don't get me wrong: the guy deserved to win. The numbers he put up during the 2004 season were nothing short of incredible. He does this season after season, at an age when most MLB players are former MLB players working on their golf swing. My problem is with Barry Bonds, the person- NOT Barry Bonds, the player.

Difficulties with the media aside- you don't put yourself above your teammates. Barry seems to feel as though he's better than the gents he takes the field with and that's something I do take offense with. Teamwork wins championships (see the 2004 Boston Red Sox).

The steroids situation doesn't help either. C'mon Barry...give us a little credit. Forty-year-old men don't bulk up like Ahnold unless they've got a chemical crutch. Even though steroid-derived muscles won't help you hit a pitch, it does help you drive it a mile and a half out of the park. It sullies the home run record and it makes me cringe every time I think about how close he is to Hank's record. Maris's numbers were legit. So are Henry's.





No comments: